Thousands of years have gone by since we began using cosmetic and personal-care products, be it in the form of body paint or eye makeup..Scented oils to clean and soften the skin might have even contained toxic chemicals with lead and arsenic being common ingredients..
It takes about 26 Seconds for a chemical to enter your body through the skin..and according to the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, the average person is exposed to 126 toxic chemicals each day, just from their personal care products..So it is my belief, that we should be very cognisant on the standard that our products are manufactured to meet.
There are six common skin-care ingredients that are used in the United States but banned in other countries..
- Formaldehyde–a chemical used as a preservative..there are also formaldehyde donors which release formaldehyde in to a product. one of the most controversial donor is quaternium-15..( might remember this being in a baby shampoo)..Formaldehyde may cause severe allergic reactions.
- Petroleum Distillates: The same oil that goes in your furnace and your cars that is often found in mascaras.. The petroleum distillates are used as emollients are a found in eye shadows, lotions, hairspray and foundations..They have been banned in the European Union.
- Hydroquinone–Bleaching Agent used to lighten patches of skin called hyperpigmentation, age spots or liver spots.. It has been linked to lung irritation and tumors in mice..Canada and some Asian countries have banned its use in skin products.
- BHA: Butylated Hydroxyanisole–Is used as a preservative in moisturizers, shaving creams, fragrances, lipsticks and has been linked to endocrine issues and cancer, as per the International Agency for Research on Cancer. This chemical negatively affects the environment since it accumulates in water and kills wildlife.. The EU prohibits its use in fragrances and California requires a warning label.
- Parabens–Used as preservatives in a variety of cosmetics products. They are suspected of being endocrine disruptors and may interfere with male reproduction function. They are commonly used in deodorants and antiperspirants and have been linked to breast cancer. The EU banned parabens in 2012.
- Methyl Cellosolve–This solvent is used in anti-aging creams, moisturizers, and serums. Methyl cellosolve is a neurotoxin that causes DNA mutation.. It is banned in Canada and restricted in the EU.
Newsmax “states that more than 500 cosmetic products sold in the US contain ingrediants that are banned in Japan Canada or Europe”..That number seemed very high so I did some research..
The European Union has banned 1,328 chemical from cosmetics.
United States FDA Food and Drug Administration has banned 11 chemicals from cosmetic
Health Canada has banned 499 chemicals from cosmetics.
The David Suzuki Foundation has issued a list of chemicals to watch out for:
1.BHA and BHT -Moisturizer and make-up..thought to be endocrine disruptors (interfere with hormones)..and BHA has been liked to cancer.
2. Coal-tar dyes..These dyes will have “CI” followed by a five-digit number on the label (in the US “FD &C” followed by the colour) These dyes are potentially carcinogenic and may be contaminated with toxic heavy metals.
3. Siloxanes..anything that ends in “-siloxane” or”-methicone” falls within this category. These chemicals are used as moisturizers in makeup and hair care products..but may interfere with hormone function and damage your liver.
4. DEA, MEA, and TEA–these chemicals give moisturizers and shampoos a creamy, foamy texture but can react with other chemicals to form cancer-causing nitrosamines.
5. Phthalates—These plasticizer chemicals male person;-care products easier to handle and apply. They are suspected endocrine disruptors and reproductive toxins.
6. Parabens–Preservatives.. linked to hormone disruption and breast cancer.
7. Fragrances (parfum) –Fragrances are considered trade secrets..so manufacturers are not always required to disclose what chemicals that they contain.. Some fragrance chemicals have been linked to cancer and neurotoxicity while many can trigger asthma and allergies.
8.PEG–These compounds are used in many cosmetic bases , conditioners and deodorant they can be contaminated with carcinogenic 1,4-dioxine.
9. Petrolatum–Usually used for shine ad as a moisture barrier in cosmetics and skin-care products ;They can be contaminated with cancer-causing impurities.
10. Sodium laureth (lauryl)sulfate–Also know as SLES and SLS..they were once used as industrial cleaners in car-wash soaps and engine degreasers..They now produce the foam associated with shampoos and bubble baths.. SLES and SLS can be irritating to sensitive skin and may be contaminated with carcinogenic 1,4-dioxane.
11. Triclosan–This antibacterial compound is found in toothpastes, soaps and handsantizers .and may do more harm than good..It may interfere with hormone function and lead to liver fibrosis…
There are so many things to consider..don’t just blame the companies since we are the ones buying these products…As a consumer, you have to be prepared to research the products that you use and to possibly pay more for safer products..
Getting rid of toxic ingredients and replacing them with healthier choices will help your skin glow from the inside out.. PLUS you will be helping out your liver. Your liver is the body’s main detoxification organ so has to neutralize every chemical that you come in contact with. Help Out Your Liver!
This article is only my interpretation..please do your own research..I simply want to put the idea in your head!
If you have gotten value from this article, please go to And would like to see more about me..please go to http://www.facebook.com/DMHArbonne ….
As a thank you, I will mail you a free sample of the product line that I use!